Q1. "Oh my...am i going to break something?"|
A1. No you're not. It is so hard to break something in DOS it's disgusting.
.......You can of course, but you would have to already know DOS and even
.......then have a desire to cause yourself some headache's.
Q2. "OK, I'm not going to break anything but what's the point?"
A2. Simple, speed. Nobody creates a script that would take longer to
.......do in a GUI (Graphical User Interface). If you were to, it would
.......be defeating scripting.
Q3. "Fair, enough. But i already got everything i need in GUI's"
A3. Do you? Do you really? A lot of programs require install. Then a load
.......time just to bring up the GUI. Then the worst part, reading the help
.......and figuring out what the GUI does. With scripting, there is no help
.......required because you know EXACTLY what you wrote and what it's going
.......to do. Best part, just takes one click and the entire thing runs and
.......does all it needs to do. No interaction required.
00. What a file is under win enviroment.|
01. What a variable is in %win2k% batch and how to create them.
02. What echo echo. @echo off does.
03. What operators like > and >> and | do.
04. What a ::comment is.
05. What & does and how to use it &::creatively.
06. What 'DIR' and 'SORT' is and does
07. What a * and a ? mean to the DOS shell.
08. What GOTO _is when used with :_labels, also using PING to create a delay.
09. What if "statements"=="are and what they do".
10. What a basic "for" loop is/does.
11. How to use low interger values with variables.
12. How to parse strings into substrings.
13. How to echo non-echoable characters.
14. How to pass %arguments to a .bat file.